Archive for the ‘Troubleshooting’ Category

I’m not sure how this happened yet, but after doing some cleanup yesterday in a custom Web Part page that contains links to the jQuery CDN, this morning I looked at my page and the “tabification” courtesy of  jQuery UI was missing, and I had a mess of random HTML scattered all over the place.

At first I thought I had deleted a necessary resource as part of the cleanup, but upon closer inspection in SPD, I found that the prefix (//code.jquery.com) to all of my script references had been stripped out and turned into relative references, which of course could not be resolved.

Below is the correct format, plus a reminder comment for the next time it happens:

The correct URLs, plus a reminder of the correct format

The correct URLs, plus a reminder of the correct format

 

I’ve been doing more experimentation with SharePoint 2010 REST API, and as part of the process, ran into a problem I’ve seen intermittently before, but never delved into.

The issue was that my client REST call from within a SharePoint page would not refresh on some machines with Internet Explorer 11 until I opened the browser Tools. It was fine in Chrome, and on different machines with IE 10 installed, so I decided to investigate (Google) the problem. (more…)

I wanted to prototype using the SharePoint 2010 REST API for List Data, and ran into a bizarre error in my DEV/TEST site collection. In this case, I am a Site Collection Administrator with no farm-level access.

(more…)

I’ve been working with WebAPI to implement a simple REST data service over http: as part of prototyping a client-side connection to an external system from SharePoint 2010.

I was able to get the data service running and accessible in Azure very easily due to some excellent tutorials from MSDN, and was able to bind the JSON data from my service to a simple chart from AmCharts that worked well in a test page. (more…)

I’ve been having lots of problems connecting to my OneNote notebooks that are published to SharePoint.

Specifically what will happen is that I get the OneNote message for a password, click on the message to open the dialog, enter my credentials, then it fails. Afterwards, OneNote stops displaying the password dialog and it will not synchronize. Usually, rebooting the computer will fix this problem, but that’s pretty extreme.

The problem occurs most frequently when I change my connectivity, e.g. stop using VPN or direct corporate network connection, and just connect over the internet via https. It happened again yesterday under these circumstances, and I didn’t want to reboot, so I did a little research.

What “seemed” to fix the problem was to simply restart the Web Client service on the local machine, as described in this article. It refers to adding registry entries, but I just tried restarting the service, which appeared to solve the problem. I may revisit the registry hack if I find that the service restart doesn’t resolve the problem reliably.

Update 8-21-2014: Restarting the service does seem to resolve the scenario described above very reliably. Note that you may not have sufficient permissions on your local machine to restart services. If this is the case, a reboot may be the only alternative.

Here are some resources to help with setting up SharePoint 2013 development environments:

SharePoint 2013: Creating a Development Environment — a TechNet wiki with numerous topics related to setup and configuration, part of a larger Best Practices posting.

Setting up a SharePoint 2013 Development Environment 101 — a TechNet blog post with other helpful hints

SharePoint 2013 Development Environments — Matthew Bailey’s blog with lots of links to other posts and information about pre-configured virtual resources

Set up the development environment for SharePoint 2013 — an MSDN article with still more resources and guidelines

When sending email via declarative workflow, e.g. SharePoint Designer, you may be using a field of type “Person or Group” for either the To: or CC: fields of the mail. A common example would be using the Assigned To field from a Task type to send email notifications when a task is overdue.

When you select this field in the email builder as shown below, (more…)

I was trying to delete some content types that I had created, and removed all of the lists using the types, but was still receiving the “Content Type In Use” error message when I attempted to delete the type.

The resolution was to empty the Recycle Bins, both at the sub-site level and the Site Collection level. I don’t recall having to do this before, but whatever. Bad news if you are not a Site Collection Administrator I guess.

Chris Kent’s post covers a possible cause/solution very thoroughly.

In my case, the problem was evident in IE8 and Firefox 16.0.2, but not IE9 and Chrome 22.0.1229.94, presumably due to the relative efficiency with which each browser can parse XSLT.

If you are using the Content Query Web Part​ (CQWP) to aggregate tasks from multiple sites, the AssignedTo filter field will disappear if the underlying field is changed to allow multiple users. The classic scenario for doing this is creating a “My Tasks” view, which works fine with single assignees.

This behavior can be particularly perplexing if you configure the CQWP with single users, and then later change the content type to allow multiple assignees. (more…)